Saturday, June 7, 2008

TRY THIS ONE FOR DEPRESSION: "PSALM OF NEPHI"

I believe the Book of Mormon's pure translation of ancient words renders them as electric energy which can course through our souls clear down to our toenails. We cannot read 2 Nephi 4:15-35 and be depressed at the same time. By singing this music with those pure words, I know we can command the departure of despair...because I've done it.
Psalm of Nephi, original page 1, written in 1991.
Later I created a men's duet, using Finale, which became a popular way to perform this number.
When I first started writing music, I worked with Anna Rollins, a beautiful 19-year-old with a clear and beautiful voice. I asked her to record "Psalm of Nephi' so that I would have something tangible to share should the need arise.
Myrna Heninger, Gary's wife, my sister-in-law who possessed a beautiful soprano voice, was visiting our home one day and heard the recording. She was so deeply impressed that she told me, "Kaye Starr, this music is of the highest caliber, and if you organize a choir, I will join." Don Heninger, Brent's youngest brother who had developed a rich baritone voice, was also listening. He voted to join the choir, also. Their support became the heart and soul of "Promise."
Anna Rollins from Layton, Utah. She was 19 years old in 1991.
Anna wrote the following: "Have you ever read a comforting scripture that sounded like 'music to your ears'? The prophets are urging us more and more to turn our hearts to The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ, the most correct of any book on earth. These scriptures were meant for us in the latter-days...especially youth, and many of us are becoming aware of the healing power they contain."

The Book of Mormon: It's powerful words seem to be carried on a high voltage wire from the book to our lives...if we let them. They become so useable!

No comments: