Thursday, June 5, 2008

THE SONG OF LOVE: "HAVE I FORGOTTEN THEE?"

My brother, Roger Thompson, 1993, practices "Have I Forgotten Thee?" for his Sacrament Meeting. All my family has supported me in my music ventures. Note: This was our "blue room," where I did all my composing. It was my "Waters of Mormon"...my special place where I found my Redeemer. Craig Morris, pictured here with his first grandchild in 1993, is currently our soloist for "Have I Forgotten Thee?" He came into "Promise" in January 1992. He is a faithful and devoted saint, with a clear tenor voice that tugs at the heart-strings. Kaye Starr and Kathi Nickell, 2007: best friends. Kathi also joined the choir in 1992 and was our first soloist for "Have I Forgotten Thee?" Her voice is like velvet, and her spirit is pure.
Kaye Starr, Myrna and Gary Heninger in 1993 after a Sacrament Meeting presentation. We have had so much fun as a close-knit group of friends and relatives in our wonderful choir.
Shirley, my sister, Barbara Robinson and Natasha Jones. I'll always remember their selfless service in organizing the Australian LDS Brisbane Regional Choir, which sang my musical programs for many years. Barbara said, "We don't just believe in miracles, we depend on miracles!"(Back) Martin Nineham, Shirley (Front) Natasha Jones, June Balfour at choir practice, 1993.
Kaye Starr leads "Promise" choir at our benefit concert at Newgate Mall, 1993, in Ogden, Utah. We cleared $600.00, which was a good start for our music business.
Across the world in Australia, Natasha and Shirley record "Have I Forgotten Thee?" in 1993, a favorite song in Brisbane.
Guilda Hope Schroader, my mentor and friend, 1993. She sacrificed much for me, and helped get me started. She said, "Yes, you should organize a choir!" So I did. That was in 1991, and she helped and supported me from then on. I sent out 80 requests and 40 people joined. "Promise," named by Hope, was officially organized November 5th, 1991. Hope became our first narrator.

THE STORY BEHIND "HAVE I FORGOTTEN THEE?"

This song is a result of my scripture reading back in 1992 about the covenant people of Abraham. The text comes from both Isaiah 49 and I Nephi 21. The melody, harmonies and words are very powerful, and came so quickly that within hours from its inception, neighbors and family had memorized it. I am grateful to Troy Heninger who quickly took it and inputted it into his computer, who then shared it with members of our choir, "Promise." It has been performed over a thousand times for young and old, and has always been received with gratitude.

I sent it to Shirley, my sister living in Australia, who arranged to have it performed for several years by the Brisbane Regional Choir of the LDS Church. Scores of people were left in tears by its message, proclaiming that this song was written expressly for them.

Additionally, a cluster of folks came to visit from the island of Kauai, and when they heard the song, they announced that it related perfectly to their people, and wanted to use it in their pageant.
In Bountiful, Utah, when we performed it for a regional gathering of single parents, many explained to me, in tears, why this was their song.

2 comments:

Pat G. said...

Would love to get a copy of "Have I forgotten Thee?', to be sung in our sacrament meeting. How do we purchase copy or copies?
Nolan Gibson
4411 S. Priceless View Dr
Gold Canyon, Arizona
85118

E-Mail pngibson@mchsi.com

Beck said...

It's so great to see these pictures, the memories of being apart of this have come flooding back