Wednesday, June 11, 2008

SONG: "WATERS OF MORMON"

The Waters of Mormon is a beautiful place described in the Book of Mormon. I became acquainted with Dr. Joseph Allen, who conducts Book of Mormon tours. In his book, "Sacred Sites," on page 34, you'll see a place he believes is the "Waters of Mormon," Lake Atitlan, located 90 miles west of Guatemala City. Please click on the picture and read more.
"How beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer." (My favorite passage of that scripture.)
The Waters of Mormon could have been at Lake Atitlan.
Alma baptized many people at the waters of Momon, which may have looked like these waters in Guatemala. (This picture came from "Preach My Gospel.")
I began composing this piece in 1988, and soon after started organ and composition lessons from Dr. Rulon Christensen at Weber State College.
Waters of Mormon, original copy, p1

Dr. Christensen told me his favorite part of my song was the second chorus, shown here at bottom after the double bar. This passage is the apex of the piece, and thrills the soul to hear it. It's included on our "Voices from the Dust" program.
The most beautiful place for people is where they are when they learn about the Savior. For me, it is at the piano, my "Waters of Mormon." I have received much divine help while seated on the piano bench, with my scriptures in front of me, and paper and pencil in my hand.

My "Waters of Mormon," about 1993.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your music blog! I enjoyed learning more about you and your music! You are very talented!