Saturday, May 31, 2008

MY SIGNATURE SONG: "I LOVE TO READ THE BOOK OF MORMON"

This is my handwritten copy of "I Love to Read the Book of Mormon" which was written in 1991 and originally entitled "Our Prophet's Song." Most of the words came from President Ezra Taft Benson, who was my favorite General Authority since I was eight years old. Later I gained permission from the Benson family to use the prophets words.
President Ezra Taft Benson, 1992

Promise, after a performance in 1997. We always sang "I Love to Read the Book of Mormon" at the beginning of each presentation. At the end, the choir members would go down into the audience and sing it again. This song became a very effective and beautiful tool for our presentations."Promise" choir in 1994-1996, after performancesPromise rehearses in 1994
Formal picture for our CD in 1995

In 1991 I wrote what has become my signature song, "I Love to Read the Book of Mormon." The following background story, which I wrote at the same time, explains its melodic structure:


I LOVE TO READ THE BOOK OF MORMON

So simple! How can I contain it! The concept is so simple, yet so profound! Here we are, God's earthly children going through so much sorrow and having so many problems. We ask God to please help us. At times we feel the heavens are made of brass and won't release their truths to us. We keep having "bad luck," and we grovel in despair.

Meanwhile, in Salt Lake City, Utah, at the pulpit from which our prophet speaks, we are told to read deeply from the Book of Mormon, another Testament of Jesus Christ. He tells us we will find our answers there.

But we forget, and the cares of the day prevent us from searching that book. We become like the children of Israel who refused to just look at the staff so they could be healed. Today, all we need to do is read the Book of Mormon with our whole soul, and we'll be healed from our despair and problems. It is our staff, and our healer.

When you hear this song, you will discover it has two melodies. I couldn't decide which one was best, so I used them both, at the same time, just like the prayer and the answer, which can "cross in the mail," or, better yet, the answer has been there all the time.

I sang it in the car to my daughter the day it was finished. She immediately recognized something about it I didn't know: it had a third melody, one that I had sung to my babies all through the years, one which I had learned from my Mama well over forty years before, and which she had learned from her mama decades before that. Anyone that knows, "I'm a Lonely Little Petunia in an Onion Patch," give it a try. This brings back the flavor of old-time melodies that I'm sure our prophet, Ezra Taft Bensen still loves to this day.

These are his words, and his song.

1 comment:

Rejane de Oliveira Lima said...

Hello! I love your blog and your music!!
I'm a Stake Music Chairman and Seminary teacher in my Ward.
I would love to sing and play (and hear) his music here in our scale coral Stake. (Brazil Sao Paulo South).
How can I get your music, please?
Thanks!!
My e-mail: rejaneolima.lds@gmail.com