Thursday, May 22, 2008

MY FIRST SONG

My first draft of my first song, originally titled, "Have Ye Any Sick Among You?"The same song, renamed to, "I Will Heal You," was given an introduction and more voices.
MY STORY
During the fall of 1987, I received a strong impression to write Book of Mormon music. To make my story short, let's just say I felt very inadequate; plus, I didn't have time. I was working three jobs and was dog-tired at night. However, my reading from the Book of Mormon at night kept me thinking of that powerful impression. With a sigh, I cast out my fears and figured I'd better get started and chose a scripture, if I'm going to write a song.
I chose 3 Nephi 17, my favorite chapter, and verse 7, my favorite verse. My favorite sentences in the whole Book of Mormon are stated when Christ is visiting the Nephites, and He asks, "Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither...and I will heal them,...for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy."
The melody came to me as a gift. The chordal structure, harmonies, rhythm and words came one note or measure at a time. Christ's healing influence worked within me as the song progressed. I became happier and energized with each passing day that fall of 1987.
I savor the memory of those weeks: all alone in the middle of the night, wrapped in a blandet, sitting on the best seat in the house, my piano bench. I feel closer to my Savior because I have heard just a little bit of heaven.

This is the 2003 CD cover of my program which contains "I Will Heal You," sung by George Dyer and The Kaye Starr Singers. With the help of many good artists, this song was ready to be recorded 15 years after its inception.

No comments: